Monday, April 2, 2012

My Paintings: March 29, 2011


March 29 marked our first year in our new home. I am sharing with you a painting I made specifically for our living room. Measuring 4 ft by 4 ft, it was a challenge during our move. It wouldn’t fit in the car so it had to be carefully wrapped and transported along with the large furniture.

The large space of our living room needed a large graphic, statement painting. I have always had this concept in mind of re-inventing the Catholic stampitas with images of fashion. Here, I painted a girl with a red hat looking like a halo, with a bird perched on her hand like a saintly symbol. Her black cloak is reminiscent of Roman robes, yet it looks like a drape-y jacket. I decided to paint her eyes closed as if in meditation (Although, Asian religious art represents the meditative, nirvana state with half open eyes. Apologies to my art history professors.).

I added a collage of scrap fabrics swirling outward and slightly painted in red blotches for a more graphic effect. It also finishes the painting well. The intricate backdrop emphasizes the stillness of the central subject.


No comments:

Post a Comment